Jan 15, 2009

Deon J Sanders


(Thanks Shawnice for the picture =) )

My Grandfather, My Dads Dads, passed away this past Saturday 1/10/09 at the age of 82. He was a great example to my family. He had a VERY strong testimony of the church and served in many ways. He served 3 missions in his lifetime. One as a young man, one for 6 months after being married a short time, and then he and my grandmother served together for 12 1/2 yrs at the Family HIstory Center as the Director. He was bishop twice. They did much temple work. Before he passed a way my dad gave him a blessing while in the hospital, my grandmother requested that my dad be the voice in giving a priesthood blessing a few hours before Deon's passing.
Cal was overwhelmed with the Spirit and feelings of the Great Love Many have for him on both sides of the Veil, and that Deon had endured to the end, and should now go to the Many, Many who awaited to greet him and express their love and appreciation for the work he and Marie had done for them in Geneology and Temple Work. Not only for the work of their own ancestors, but many of the ancestors of those in the Valley who came for assistance in seeking out their dead, during the 12 1/2 years they served at the Family History Center as Director, along with the many years they also served at the Temple.


** During the funeral, I felt a since a sadness for the loss of him, but also I felt the spirit there so strongly and felt a great feeling of pride in my grandfather and the amazing man he was. I know my dad has been able to be such a great example to my family because he had a father who was soo strong.
** One memory that really stands out in my mind about him was the many, many times I heard him bear his testimony at family gatherings. He seemed to bear it any chance he got, and I am so grateful for that, and the memories of the feelings I had as he bore it.


This scripture was in the program at the funeral
(D&C 42:45-46)
"45 Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die, and more especially for those that have not hope of a glorious resurrection.
46 And it shall come to pass that those that die in me shall not taste of death, for it shall be sweet unto them;"


The pictures below are of My Grandfathers posterity, (Not all were in attendance)
with the quilts he and my grandmother had made and given us all this past christmas. (All the jean squares were cut by my grandfater) These quilts will be cherished forever.

5 comments:

Alli Waldron said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandfather sounds like an amazing man.

Lauren said...

It sounds like your Grandfather gave you all an amazing example to follow after, I am sorry for your loss.

Lois said...

Families are Forever I'm glad your apart of it! I've shed many tears but its comforting to know we'll see him again. Your Dad my brother gave a very special dedication.

Chrissy said...

What a great man to have as a grandpa. And even better to have a knowledge of the plan of salvation. I am sorry for your family's loss.

As the World "Kerns" said...

Tara, Thanks for posting this and the pictures are beautiful. I wish I could have been at the funeral. Say hello to your mom and dad for me please.