The Saturday after Thanksgiving Jed got together some of his family and friends to go bird shooting. I told Pete to just go and take the boys but he REALLY wanted us to go as a family. I was nervous about Kadence mostly. We go shooting regularly but were not walking around. I didn't know what to expect because this was a first for us.
It was much safer than I anticipated.
They bought 30 birds. You set them free through out the land. Then we call walk in a line and the dogs go to work bird hunting.
Once the dogs find a bird hiding in a bush they "point" or sometimes the bird just flys out. If it didn't then Jed would wlk up to the tree and scare it out. From there the few people closest take their shot. The cool thing about this was some shooters are obviously better then others so they made sure when a dog found a bird that whoever hadn't gotten one yet walked up and had a chance. I clipped one and Christen who is 13 finished it off. My second bird I got from a pretty good distance after about 3 others had missed.
Pete got a couple to :)
The kids had fun trailing behind and even packing the bird on their backs.
Im not too much of a sissy girl but some things freak me out. I was nervous to pack one on my back but was wearing Jeds vest so I could carry my bullets.. therefore I packed. I had to toughen up but did scream when a bird twicked while on my back. YUCK!!
HAHA
When we were all done, mostly everyone had errands to run, ect because they live right there in St. George. We got to haul home the birds. We didn't want them to be wasted so my family. Boys and all, gut the birds and cooked them for the next two nights meals. I was super proud of all of us because like I said. It was a first.
I told Pete if more people raised and butchered their own animals there would probably be more vegetarians in this world. ... Or you just get used to it.
Thanks Jed again for a FUN time and GREAT MEMORIES. Also, for teaching us the ropes!!
No comments:
Post a Comment